Originally Posted by filmsurgeon
Only thing I would have done differently would be remove , straighten and have the release rod replated.
The release rod is very visible once installed

Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize mine was not correct. I really don't want to have to take out the assembly to do this, but I suppose I could try straightening the rod with it mounted in the car. Is the rod supposed to be straight (starting from the handle all the way back to where it attaches at the rear)? As you might be able to see in my photos, mine has a couple of bends in it (from the handle to where it goes through the grommet). I did spray silicon lubricant in the grommet hole, and the rod moves very smoothly through it without grabbing it. I had to replace the plastic one that was there because it was in really rough shape.

Hi, I know this thread is a few years old but it discusses exactly what I am attempting to restore. The parking brake release rod passes through a little plastic bushing and I am not understanding how this very rigid little plastic bushing is installed into the brake assembly. I bought this nice kit with the two springs and the bushing. The small bushing is very hard plastic and with the rod out of the way I just don’t understand how it is to be installed in the bushing hole without damaging the bushing or the bushing hole. Maybe it is so simple to install, that’s why I can’t figure it out. If anyone would give me a little advice, 😊

Azmoparboy