Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by therocks
Ive had the 4 speed in my 65 since 69.Never heard you have to go to 1st then reverse.I always adjust my clutch so that it goes into reverse with no grinding and neve have ant problems.Clutch in it now is like 20 years old and has been weel beat on.Still goes into R with no problems.have had to adjust it twice in over 20 years

There are a lot of variables that can avert the issue. If you've never ground the reverse gears you are an anomaly, have extremely thick grease, or rotating resistance in the trans. I will try to explain why wink

When the car is is running in neutral with the clutch up, The input shaft is 'locked" to the engine via the clutch assy.
The cluster gear is spinning as it is in constant contact with the input shaft.
But the car is not moving as none of of the output shaft gears are engaged with the cluster gear to transmit the power.

OK hopefully your following along and understanding the above wink
So, one depresses the clutch pedal, that should disengage the input shaft from the engine.
IF their is enough resistance within the transmission, the input shaft and cluster gears will stop spinning allowing any gear to be engaged.
The above resistance is usually caused by thicker gear oil, clearances in the trans itself, bearings that have rotational resistance. or a combination of the 3.

IF there is little to no resistance, the cluster and input gears will continue spinning for a short time.
During this time (gears spinning) If one tries to engage R it will grind until the cluster/ input stop because R is not synchronized.
During this same time if one selects ANY of the forward gears they will stop the cluster and input without grinding as the forward gears are synchronized.
Once the gears are stopped, one can then go into reverse without grinding.

If the gears start spinning again after having been put in a forward gear with the clutch continually depressed, that would indicate that something is dragging on the input shaft causing it and the cluster gear to start spinning again.

If the gears continue to spin for a extended period of time (30 seconds or more shruggy) WITHOUT putting it in a forward gear, that again indicates something is dragging on the input not allowing it to stop.

I am 68 YO and was taught to always do a forward gear before trying to put it in reverse. So it is habit for me. Bit If I forget I will sometimes get a little grind and sometimes not.

hope this explains why one should always select a forward gear before reverse. beer

Good explanation here. How about the interface of the crank-end bushing/bearing & snout of input shaft.