Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
I watched part 1 this morning. Great stuff. I found it interesting that Herb credits his career as a paper boy with developing his tenacity. Because the same is true for me. I built up to 4 routes, and absolutely HAD to deliver ALL the papers, every day, no matter what. Skipping a day, or not finishing the routes when there was a blizzard was not an option. If I was short papers or any got spoiled, I had to go to the store and pay retail for replacements at a loss. But it had to be done. And that sticks with you.

Exactly the same here for me with delivering 170+ daily papers and 150+ Sunday papers (Pittsburgh Press) and sometimes having to stuff the sale fliers on Sunday morning at 5am to boot. And this was in hilly, cold, snowy, rainy southwest Pennsylvania. I got the job when I was one year too young to actually be a paperboy and being short didn't help either, I had to shorten the straps on the paper (carrying) sacks for the first couple of years. I saved as much money as possible so I could buy a Honda Super 90, then started racing motocross then off road and then qualified to represent the USA in Six Day off road competition in six events in Austria, Czechoslovakia (still communist at the time mad down), Sweden, Germany, France and then the Isle of Elba Italy. Before the Czecho event my local newspaper did a story on me and started the article with how I got to that point from delivering newspaper for them, saved the money and bought my first motorcycle. Yep, rain, shine, snow, hand carrying on foot and 7-days a week (and sometimes on holidays that most would have off) 360+ days a year (tougher than being a mailman or mail carrier for the most part) that taught me a lot especially that you had to be prompt and consistent when you delivered. If you were late you got complaints as most people planned their day as to when they sat down to read the daily and Sunday newspaper, so don't mess up tsk laugh2

MikeR