Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Originally Posted by larrymopar360
^^^^The ’69 Polara swept to 60 mph in only 6.3 seconds and blitzed through the quarter-mile in 14.4 seconds at 98 mph. And it sped around the big oval at the Chrysler Proving Grounds in Chelsea, Michigan, at an unheard of 147 mph. Even by 21st century standards, that’s astoundingly fast. STOCK! Stock tires of the day with no grip!

Hard to believe this - not calling you a BS-er though. Best 1/4 mile I ever ran in my 3:55 Auto 71 Hemi Charger was a 14:39 @ 99. The car was no slouch either - I was only beat by one car ever on the street. Also, I blitzed around the same big Chelsea test track (the BIG one) at about 140 in my Charger, and I was not alone! Bunch of us out there were tearing it up in 1981-82. Chrysler finally figgered it out - then no more Mopar Nats at the proving grounds!

I have two quick Mopar cop car stories to contribute here - both personally involved with:

1. One of my wife's cousins who is now retired, had a career as a policeman. In 1969 the town of South Lyon had some hot rodders that were raising hell & they had fast cars the cops could not catch with their 383 B-bodies. So they ordered a black '69 Roadrunner with a Hemi. Greg could not believe the story, so he drove out there one day to take a look (he was a cop for a different town) & sure enough, they opened the hood & there sat a 426 in all it's glory.

2. Junkyard in Phoenix, AZ. around 1986 had several old cop cars at the back row - all C-bodies - we were buddies with the owner of this particular yard. One of the cars had been used in the original movie Gone in 60-Seconds, & I could have bought it for a few hundred dollars. I passed on it but think now I shouldn't have! (of course)
That was Michigan State Police testing numbers.

Facts are stubborn things.