Originally Posted by volaredon
Originally Posted by NITROUSN
In my opinion the 1st generation is 1972-1993. Forget Ram and Cummins. The frames were all very close, wheelbases were the same, cabs, boxes and sheet metal could be swapped easily with minor modifications. Bumpers bolted on and plow frames could be used throughout the 21 years. That's my take on it.

While I agree with 72-93 being all " the same" generation

But I don't agree with that being considered "1st" generation, as that is to say that Dodge didn't build "any" trucks prior to that????? BULL$#1T. All the more reason I wish I could afford to go find me a solid old "Dodge Brothers " version on which to restore. So I could then show everyone what "1st gen" Dodge trucks really were. Or at least find me a a 64-71.
Right. 1st gen implies nothing before IMO. Weird.

While we're on this topic, I believe the dropping of "Dodge" and making "Ram" a stand alone division was a major marketing faux pas by corporate. People are still confused and I'm constantly hearing "Dodge Ram". Dodge trucks were/are a legendary brand with loyal followers and this marketing move blurred the brand IMO. They could've kept the slogan "Ram tough".

Facts are stubborn things.