I rode up to the summit back in the '90's on dirt bikes as part of a 500 mile charity motorcycle ride called the Colorado 500. Mostly Indy car drivers and crew members, motorcycle industry people and a variety of car and motorcycle people from around the country. Most were already used to the altitude as the ride started several days before in the Aspen, Basalt area with 11k, 12k, 13k, altitudes on the way over to Colorado Springs. At the time it was still mostly dirt so it was a lot of fun sliding around most of the turns on dirt bikes, and smelling the brakes of the vehicles headed down while we were headed up. On that day what I found to be most interesting was GM had brake test cars headed down and some you could actually see the discs glowing and brake smoke pouring out of these wheels that had what looked like additional outboard of the wheels but attached to them another set of brakes independent of the vehicles actual braking system. Safety first because the vehicle's brake system was sure to fail. I also remember the sign at the summit read 14,110 feet but lately I've seen a different altitude sign at the summit that read (I think) 14,115 or 14,120, did it grow??? shruggy laugh2

Great that you got to scratch off Pike's Peak from your bucket list. Others here should do it if they ever get a chance well worth the trip up and down and the time at the top. beer Speaking of beer is it me or does beer/alcohol give you a buzz much quicker and more of a buzz at altitude wink

This was over by Ouray/Silverton, Colorado at California Pass 12,930 ft and picking up a 280 lbs dirt bike at those altitudes will get you spinning even if you're in good shape DAMHIK wink tired

California Pass 12930 ft 001.jpegCalifornia Pass 12930 ft 002.jpeg