I look at this video clip and know that but for the grace of God, there go I.
My good fortune was to build a front end devoid of any Ackerman angle, due to trying to put a rack in a drum brake equiped car. The outer tie rods can't get out far enough to line up in the right place, and I settled for zero Ackerman change, and my front end doesn't toe out when counter steering. It has saved my heap three times, at speeds of 125, 135, and 150+ mph, in slides that were IMHO unrecoverable with normal Ackerman, due to the front severely being toe'd out during a counter steer. I am sure many hear have read my story more than once, but I will keep repeating it in the hopes that will save at least one other racecar, and maybe a life!
To this day I am amazed at how the Dart recoverd when I got sideways in the traps at Rock Falls Raceway in 2004. A blownoil filter adapter gasket oiled the left rear, as I clocked 150 + mph. A snap correction of the steering wheel and the car straitened out like it was on rails . The only cleanup was the oil mess, and my drawers🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
Having had the first two experiences before I built the new chassis in 1997, I opted to keep that narrowed rack. Happy I did!

Last edited by gregsdart; 09/23/22 08:59 AM.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky