My friend asked me to put a set of headers on his '68 Coronet with 440 engine and since I'm retired I picked up the car and took it home and pulled the rusty old 2" Hooker Super Comps off. He brought me a set of headers he had bought from another racer. First thing I noticed was that they are 2-1/8", I don't see another 1/4" available in this engine compartment for these headers. I got numbers 1-6 mounted loosely through trial and error with the engine jacked up. #8 looks like it will go thru inner fender if I cut the access hole larger. #7 looks like it would go over the steering shaft and then down outside the torsion bar and then back to the collector. There is no possible way #7 will do that on this car without cutting it into 3 pieces and making slip fit sleeves for it. Then my friend says the headers are from a '65 Coronet.

Are there differences in the engine bay between a '65 and a '68 that make this project a lost cause? The collectors are slip fit and it looks like they will not clear the transmission mount. I spent 2 days fitting these headers and I am abandoning the project.