Originally Posted by J_BODY
When’s the last time you saw “made in Japan” ?

I had to comment, interestingly enough I had a not too long ago purchased and rarely used made in China Ingersol rand 3/8 Drive air ratchet take a dump. So I called them even though it was way out of the warranty period.
The tech instructed me to take it apart and send in pictures. OK. He responds with there is very little grease in the gear case and that likely led to the failure. I said the unit was never greased as it had less that 4 hours total use and there were no filings present, just teeth fractured at the root. He sent me a repair kit free of charge.
Where I'm going with this is my backup was / is a 35+ year old J.I.T. air ratchet made in Japan that has been abused but never greaser and rarely oiled spank But it works perfectly as do many other made in Japan tools ii have from that era.
However my recent experiences with recently purchased made in Japan products have left me wondering if they are going the way we did in the late 70's early 80's. IE: their quality is beginning to slip. And I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see China, Taiwan or another take the lead on quality at reasonable pricing twocents