Originally Posted by crackedback
727 safer than a 904... never seen a 904 explode behind a street engine. 727 and that front drum can be fun.

A decent 904 build will handle a street 340 fine. Plenty of 904's running around on the street behind 400+ inch SB's. Probably use the same driveshaft as the 4sdpeed to boot.

It's not 1970 anymore and the huge dollars to build a 904 to live is simply not the case. Decent clutches/band and a tf2... I'd love to see a list of all these expensive parts required to make a 904 live. Put an extra clutch in the drum running the thin variants, man that's expensive. LOL Doesn't need an expensive drum to make it safe either... Wanna make a 727 so it's safe, front drum instant $500 bill to the build, you can build a strong 904 for that number alone. BTDT on building 904's

Of course a 727 is a tougher trans to hurt, it's also got bigger parts/clutches in it. Also has other drawbacks as well.

Pick you parts, pay your money.

FOR THE WIN!!

I put an amazingly simple 904 in my Duster 2 years ago. I was going to pull it at 60 passes and check things over,but we’re at 84 and counting. Been mid 1.2 in the 60 and best of 9.10. The ONLY jewelry in the whole build is the A&A front clutch spring pack, and the A500 pump gears. I LOVE the 904 behind a small block! Even in my “street days” my Mirada had a 904 behind the 340 that was in it.