I did this to my 97 in 2016, my truck is a 5 speed, any questions let me know. Fairly straightforward I thought.

Off the top of my head I know I changed to a v8 flywheel because the crank position sensor counts the teeth right.

I was taking the v8 engine from another one of my trucks that had been wrecked so I took the injector plugs and wiring from its harness and wired them into the existing harness in my v6 truck. And then ran wiring in tandem to those injector plugs to the pcm for the injector pulse signal. The donor truck was automatic so I had to source a v8 manual pcm since the truck I was updating was manual. Not sure if this was really necessary as I’ve often thought about plugging in the old v6 pcm just to see if it would run the truck but I never did try it.

You’ll need a v8 shroud. The v6 one is too deep and will be too close to the belt path on your new v8.

Other menial things I remember that were dumb was the v8 truck starter wouldn’t connect to the wires in the v6 truck so I took the starter from the v6 and put it on the v8 just so that it would be the same. I actually had this starter go bad a few months ago and had it rebuilt, still gave trouble and when I went to order a replacement I had to order one for a v6. So I’ve found that even tho they look the same externally the starter for a v6 is different and since I’m still using the guts of the v6 harness in my running truck I’ll have to source v6 starters for it forever I guess, or change the wire ends which I didn’t feel like doing at the time. Still don’t.

V6 truck has no air conditioning but the v8 truck did so I got a pulley on a bracket to go in the place of the ac compressor.

All in all it worked out pretty good. I left the v6 badges on the doors for obvious reasons. People tell me it sounds pretty good for a v6 now haha. Has real dual exhaust, sounds awesome. .