Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
Originally Posted by gregsdart
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
It will be interesting to see how they stack up on the other flowbench.
it will for sure. Since you port heads, a little info on valve angles. No back cut on either intake or exhaust. I was told a back cut brought up the flow up to . 100, but a net loss occurred in the midrange. So i was told don't let anyone change that.

I went to a two day theory only class on head porting years ago and Darren Morgan recommended putting a 30 degree back cut on everything and his reasoning was it will never hurt and usually help. Like I said that was years ago so that thinking may have changed. He has some really good videos on YouTube that I have shared and guys really enjoy them. I have never watched them because by now I know how I want to go about it and after 100’s of flow tests Im kinda set in my ways. I prefer to do it at least on the intake valves. The 30-45 minutes that he spent on the exhaust side was worth the 600.00 plus the 300.00 I spent to take my son.

I also sat in a seminar by Morgan and I usually back cut all the intake valves. The way i have found that gives the best results is to grind the seats and then slap the valve in the head to get a mark where the valve will seat, then grind the back cut angle so you come close to the seat mark. I want the face of the valve to be at least .060 wide, so if perfect .030 on each side of the seat mark you got slapping the valve. If you just grind a 30 degree back cut on the valve and it is too far away from the seat area it does not give good results. I think you posted on speed talk as well. But you need to check the short side air velocity, if you increased the flow with a back cut you may increased the velocity to make the short side unstable at high lifts, I think Morgan talks a lot about velocity in the ports as well. I have found just a little work with a sanding burr will fix most issues like you describe.