Originally Posted by poorboy
Mopar automatic transmissions have a habit of leaking when they sit, without use, for almost any length of time.
The torque converter drains back into the pan and puts the fluid level above many seals on the transmission. The weaker seals allow the fluid drained from the converter to leak out onto the floor/ground. Its not entirely unusual to loose up to two quarts (maybe more) of ATF if an auto trans has been sitting for a month or more.

Fixing the leaking seals helps reduce or can sometimes even stop the fluid loss, but that doesn't cure the main issue. I believe it requires a valve body rebuild or replacement, and seal replacement, to cure the issue, but I've driven them many miles with a simple thing I do at every first start up, without doing a trans or VB rebuild.

That converter drain back is the reason I always start my auto trans Mopar and shift it into neutral for 30 seconds (up to a minute if the vehicle has been sitting a longer time) before I go anywhere after it has sat for more then 8 hours. What that does is fill the torque converter back up. Older Mopar transmissions do not run the fluid pump when the trans is in park. That solves the "morning sickness" the Mopar autos have for the first minute of operation on the first start up of the day, you know, when it just doesn't feel right at first. Gene

Great piece of info. All my older Mopars until this one have been manuals.

My Monster are real!

Living within your means makes life pretty easy.