Understand all of that up but DUFFMAN is trying to identify if those four (orange, white, blue, yellow) wires are positive and negative speaker wires. If they are? then there's a chance DUFFMAN could get one speaker out of phase. Getting both out of phase would not be a really big issue but one speaker out of phase is.

With what you say that the - negatives are grounded to the deck's chassis, then it should be easy for DUFFMAN to determine the - negative (ground/earth) wires with an Ohm/multimeter by putting each wire to the deck's chassis.........is that correct???

Mike

As I posted previously with only (4) output leads the connections are as listed below, and are easily identified with an ohm meter and taking off the bottom chassis cover..

1 wire is to 12V+
1 wire is ground & speaker ground
1 wire is left speaker +
1 wire is right speaker +

Since to get stereo audio output the speaker ground (12V-/speaker ground) has to be connected. Note the ground connection is common for the L/R speakers so the only other hookup options are L+ and R+ so the speakers will be in-phase. Later tape & head units and amplifiers that had a higher output power used what's called a BTL output scheme and here the L & R speaker negative connections are not grounded, so it is more possible to wire a speaker out-of-phase. Higher powered tape/head units are rated @ like 15Wx2 or 15Wx4, while the AC9 has a standard lower-powered amplifier rated @ like 5Wx2. Also note that if the tape/head unit having a 15Wx2 or 15Wx4 amplifier output capability, by grounding any of the speaker output leads the unit should shut down. Or in extreme cases output stage damage may occur, but later circuit designs typically have more sophisticated built-in protection. There are many subjects I know little about...
But car audio/component system design we do know something... eek
Having designed/built various show vehicles for SEMA and CES clients, plus doing product development/sourcing for many of the major audio and OE auto brands...

Just my $0.02... wink