Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
Originally Posted by R3 Racing
Racing this past weekend, my son was making a pass in our new dragster. Just prior to the finish line, he heard a noise and suddenly lost oil pressure. He banged the Cockpit Power Off and coasted to a stop. There was oil everywhere primarily contained by the diaper. Back in the pits we started the investigation. Upon dropping the diaper we were pleased to see no windows in the block. All of the oil lines were intact however, down in the diaper was the oil bypass valve shuttle, spring, washer, and retention cap. Apparently, the cap came off and the oil pump spit out the valve shuttle and spring. I have been racing for over fifty years and have never experienced this. This is a new engine and one can only speculate that the cap was just not tight from the engine assembly. We cleaned up the mess, checked for any other broken parts (rockers, valve springs, etc.) and reassembled the bypass valve. Fired up the motor and everything was working. Couple of conclusions, without the diaper the parts would have disappeared somewhere down track and lost forever. The diaper caught most of the oil and elimated a major track cleanup. Without the Cockpit power disconnect we may have lost the engine. Check out Greg's thread on in car power disconnects. In my mind, they are mandatory and this experience proves it. If you are racing without a diaper, reconsider that decision.

One of the best things I added to my car when I built it, is the battery shut off, that is easily used when strapped in. A diaper should be on almost every single car going down the track IMO.

I'd run one if it was possible to fit one with under chassis headers. If it ever runs 9s I guess I will figure it out. I think even the SSAH guys get a pass on running them.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340