Originally Posted by Stanton
hydraulic power steering unit and a hydroboost brake unit.

Keep in mind that both of these would add a tremendous amount of weight over the current electric power brakes and steering - not to mention the power loss of driving them. I'm pretty certain they consume less electrical energy than would be needed to run hydraulic units. Keep in mind also that unless the motor is turning, these would have no power whereas the electric units do.

Hydroboost brakes for small cars are tiny. Recall the system that some Fox Body Mustangs had. Not very heavy, doesn't require a whole lot of space and I'm sure some egghead tasked with improving the design should be able to.

And yes, when the vehicle ISN'T moving, there would have to be some sort of backup pump to send enough fluid to the steering & brake unit and keep flow going with the heater circuit. No, my idea is not perfect but at least I'm trying to solve a problem with proven methods rather than creating a bunch of band-aids that create MORE problems.

But yes, I would like to sit down with somebody with more brains than I to calculate how much energy would be necessary to power a small power steering rack and a small hydroboost brake unit. I can't imagine it would be much more than an Automatic transmission pump already makes. There's always got to be some give and take. My system gives the vehicle a central, hydraulic system whereas currently; cars have 100 or more separate electric systems all trying to accomplish the same thing.

There's got to be a balance somewhere.

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....