"I did check voltage with wires at ballast. Wires on either end were hot all the time. Should ignition #2 wire be hot (full voltage) only during the crank position)?"

Mopar uses Start 1 & Start 2 on cars of this era. Start 1 is hot when the ignition switch is in the run position and that 12v's passes through the ballast resistor, which drops the running voltage down around 7 volts range. Start 2 bypasses the ballast resistor and provides a full 12v's for quicker hot and cold starts. Once the spring switch is released at the start switch, the car runs on the ballast resistor voltage.

When I was hooking up my Hotwire Auto fuel injection Hot Rod Harness, I had to splice the two feeds from Start 1 & Start 2 together because the voltage would drop to zero for the split second it took to switch from Start 1 to Start 2, and that would mess up the ECU and the motor would not run. until both were spliced together. I believe both were hot when the key was on & in the start position, but Start 2 is disconnected beyond the switch when the key is returned to the run position..

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)