Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by moparx
in my infinite stupidity, i take the shunt to mean a bypass wire from the alternator output stud to the battery positive post via the starter solenoid hot post, correct ? shruggy
beer

A shunt is how an ammeter reads current. In the older cars the shunt was built into the meter itself. Later cars moved the shunt into the engine compartment, negating the need for full charging system current to pass thru the bulkhead connection, twice, and the ammeter in the dash. Essentially, it is a precise value resistor that the current flows thru and the meter part itself is technically a milli-voltmeter that reads the voltage drop across the shunt and presents it's reading as a current value on the meter face. Ohm's law being used.

While the ammeter wiring bypass crutch many use could be considered a shunt, insomuch as it shunts the flow of current into a different path, it is typically not what is meant when properly referring to a shunt in the charging system.

thank you sir ! up
now if i can just convince the spiders in my noggin to not cover this info with cobwebs........ grin
beer