Originally Posted by JohnRR
Originally Posted by MoonshineMattK
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I remember hearing one the Mopar drag race seminar engr. say that Mopar let all their cast iron blocks age and cure outside for at least 3 months after casting them before having them machined for use shruggy
I don't remember him saying anything about aluminum castings confused

I was told engine blocks and heads age 3 months outside. Otherwise the machined surfaces don't stay straight. Something about aging outside settles the casting.

I was also told cast bodies for bridgeports or lathes age for years before being machined.

That may be the norm now but I can remember one 383 I had that was cast 3 weeks before the engine assembly date, I may still have it ?
I would have every machine surface check for correctness before doing any thing repair wise to it scope up twocents
I started building my own Mopar race and Hi Po street engine in the early 1970 after buying the micrometers, inside and outside and other precession tools to accurately measure so I could tell the machine shops what i needed done to blue print motors for NHRA "Stock" classes.
Mopar quality control on machine work to their engines was not the best then and is probably not much better now whiney scope

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 04/19/22 12:01 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)