Hi, I am planning to set my 68 Dodge up for heavy hauling / towing. I was planning to use a P-pump 12 valve with compound turbos to get the job done.
Recently I was talking to a guy who sounded pretty knowledgeable at a diesel shop and told him what I was planning to do. He suggested that I consider using a 6.7 Cummins instead of the 12 valve. He said that the 6.7 would make far more power for less money, be quieter, burn less fuel, and be cleaner. That all sounds great, but what would be the trade-off in reliability, repairability, and complexity?
I know very little about electronic stuff. But I do know that the 6.7 is electronic.
This truck Will be used exclusively for long distance road trips. It has to be very, very reliable.
So how feasible is a swap of a modern electronic engine like this into an old truck? What could I expect? What would I use for electronics and stuff? I did a little snooping around and I see that the 6.7's with an automatic transmission made more horsepower than the same year engine with a stick. So I would consider an auto. Would I get some kind of aftermarket computer that would run the engine and transmission?
I would be very appreciative of any advice. Thanks, Joel

DesertSwepty~2.jpg

[img]http://i.imgur.com/boeexFms.jpg[/img]
31 Plymouth Coupe, 392 Hemi, T56 magnum
RS23J71
RS27J77
RP23J71
RO23J71
WM21J8A
I don't regret the things I've done. I only regret the things I didn't do.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. ~ Plato"