Originally Posted by 5thAve
Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by 5thAve
I think it makes sense but they should also be looking for something to document the vin tag is legit for the car or legitimat reason it was removed all of which might be tough if you bought the car that way. It is ridiculous for an older vehicle where you legitimately need to remove it for dash restoration or paint work or whatever. And what about the stupidity of some vehicles with the vin plate on the door?

That really depends on the car and the state in the US.

In Texas 55(?) and earlier, except Fords, use the engine serial number as the VIN, even though my 51 Plymouth has a vehicle serial number on the door jamb. Now I am building a 230 out of a 52 Dodge for my Plymouth, different engine serial number. So last time I was at the county tax assessor (this is who handles this stuff out here) I explained what I was doing and asked how to deal with it. The clerk went to ask and about 5 minutes later the tax assessor herself came out with the paper work and info I needed to address this. In my case I can either get it retitled with the new engine serial number or get a state issued VIN. Just paperwork to deal with. Well, I guess I could play swap the original engine back in before the annual inspection game, but no I don't think so.

I wonder if I put the original 51 engine in my 65 Cuda would it now be a 51 Plymouth, lol.

Sometimes it pays to ask what the rules are before you proceed and in any case a "pro" shop already ought to have done that and knew. But too many hacks in the "pro" shop world.

that makes even less sense. How confusing is that if you buy an old car with changed engine and the VIN on your ownership is for a completely different year/model of car even tho the right VIN is there on the body? runaway

The DMV has no idea what the vehicle serial number is as they used engine serial numbers back then and there is no provision to put a title in with the vehicle numbers on my 51. Stupid law? Probably, but it is what it is and checking beforehand will save me issues later.