Originally Posted by clovis
Mad

Very good information and maybe we need to talk off-line but for the sake of education to me and others I'll keep this thread going.

Again, you'll have to remember I'm an accountant, so I have experience with only three engines, and those are the ones that have been in my car, so like you said I have learned a lot from this site and come here often to ask questions and seek knowledge. Also as an accountant I like keeping and analyzing data. In looking at my data, I would say that the car likes more timing early, my best 60 fts are with the distributor locked out at 40*. I have also read that an engine doesn't need as much timing at higher rpms (so the boxes building in a retard function as rpms go up seems like a good thing), so what happens in a distributor seems almost backwards to what a performance engine would want. This is where is I have to ask the question, is a curve moving from low to high actually a good thing? Assuming box reduction, with a non-locked out distributor your curve would be 21 to 40 to 35, with it locked out it would be 40 to 35. When I compare all the measurement points (60, 330, etc.) and look at the plugs the cars seems quicker, faster and happier with a non-curved distributor. Now the second question, could it be faster with a different curve that has different initial and ramped in timing? and how do I get there? I love to test and tinker so I am wiling to be guided down a path here.

Thanks again for the input, I enjoy the mental exercise.

You can set it up for more initial if you think you think you need it. You just need to reduce the amount of mechanical advance the distributor has. At this point, converter stall speed needs to be considered and even your starting line ratio. And then we need to know when and how much your box retards so that can be corrected with the curve.

Of course, this all affects your carb tune up too.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston