Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Dave; all I can tell you is that I have had three carburated Mopars (two currently owned) within last few years. All three, with 10% ethanol required gas down the carb after sitting more than three days. My Power Wagon had the Edelbrock 1406 and then a Thermoquad and no change. After the Thermoquad swap I filled tank with E free 89 octane and was surprised still no change. My others were Aspen E58 with TQ and the Diplomat use to have Quickfuel carb then I went with EFI.

I can't explain why I can only tell you same thing with the three and they otherwise ran/run very well. I will say, looking back, I kind of wish I had installed an electric pump instead of spending the money and seen how that worked first but turning the key and having my Diplomat start right up after two weeks of sitting sometimes (which I really try not to do often) is really nice.

A long time ago, I used to have the same problem that you are experiencing. The CarterBrocks are famous for going dry while setting. Did it long before ethanol came along, too. And the Thermoquad has a gasket under the fuel bowl, another known problem area. Another issue is the heat cross-over boiling the gas in the carb. I block them off, but if you feel they are necessary to thwart intake icing, then use good insulators under the carb.

But it is the particular style of carbs that is the primary issue, not carburation in general. With the exception of an occasional bad gasket, I have never had the Holley style of carburetor go dry like the CarterBrock style. Another good choice today would be the new Street Demon. In other words, many, many different carburetors and/or a couple of other changes (which could include an electric fuel pump) would address your issues. And all of them are far simpler and far less expensive than EFI.

Master, again and still