Thanks Sniper, what you are saying makes perfect sense, and is not out of the question, based on what I can find locally. Since your original comment I have also been pricing out carriers and ring and pinion sets for the 8.8s along with the 8¾ and 9” (so far everything is pretty comparable). You right about my wish list for ratios not necessarily being factory available. Your point about disc brakes is also a consideration although conversions for the Ford 9” are pretty easy to come across, and I know they are out there for the 8 3/4 (just haven’t priced them out).

Normally I wouldn’t have given a second thought to the rearend this early in the process. Up until a couple of months ago there was an old time mom and pop junk yard nearby with a LOT of 50-60s parts cars to choose from. With the death of the original owners the kids elected to sell all the cars in the yard and they have been moved out to a couple of yards up north.

With that source gone I figured it might be a good idea start looking around now for something that will fit the car I plan to eventually end up with (55-56 Dodge or Plymouth). I still have a few local sources to check by I needed an idea on the width I’d need.

Our market out here is a bit different than back in the Mid-West. Without having the rust issues out here there are still a lot of older vehicles around and sourcing an 8 3/4 or 9” is still fairly easy. That being said, while the old cars don’t usually show up in the pick-a-part yards the vehicles with 8.8” do.

So basically everything is still on the table and I do appreciate your input.

1957 Plymouth (Hemi, Dual Quads, A833 4 Speed 9 1/4 w 4.10) Sold
1937 Dodge Pickup (Hemi, 6X2 intake, 46RH, Dana 60 w 4.56) Sold
1968 Plymouth Valiant 2dr sedan (354 HEMI, 46RH w/4.30 gears)