Originally Posted by TRENDZ
I ran an A&A aluminum drum on the street for a quite a few years. Was warned by Rick at A&A that fluid will come out “silvery”. Also warned that having the pressure turned up to much would wear the drum in the ring/sealing area. This was before steel drums were available. At the time, he was thinking that they might try putting a steel insert into that area. Anyway, I ran that trans for five years before having a driveshaft yolk break. it bent the tailshaft housing. I took it back to A&A to have it repaired/ refreshed. He was glad to see it back because he was curious about how the drum held up under street conditions. He said it looked terrific, much better than expected. Asked about what fluid I ran. I always used “redline AT for towing” my friend was sponsored by redline so I got the fluid at a reduced cost. Anyway, I had no issues with the aluminum drum. That being said… The trans Im building now is getting a large piston steel drum. I see no reason to risk it with all the nice options we have now.

The aluminum drums I am used to have a bronze bushing for the sealing rings. That supposedly IF they wear grooves you can change the bushing.