Originally Posted by lewtot184
Originally Posted by Quicksilver440
Originally Posted by lewtot184
a lot of good single carb info here, but i have to wonder if the manifold is best for the combo? it could be fine and i know it's had some good press but what "IF"? i don't care for single carb stuff much anymore, especially when cost is factored in. i'd open the door to a lot of options. the worst that looking could do is send you back to what you have.

Manifold is a Holley Street Dominator…ran really well with the 800 DP I used to have. I also have a new Victor that I’ve never ran…but I bought it to run with Fuel injection that I never ended up finishing.
i was just wondering if the manifold would complement the ported heads or hinder them. if the heads are 300+cfm and the manifold is 280-290cfm would spending a bunch of money on a carb make a noticeable difference? just asking. would the victor manifold, which can make more power, and a better carb add growth plus performance? i think maybe i'd try the victor first and spend money on a carb second.

as far as losing some performance goes a lot of factors play in. driver, weather, track, old tires, fuel delivery degradation, maybe a combo of all? i think i'd try to look at a broader picture.

We run ported 300-ish cfm heads and also run a Holley Street Dominator. Streetwize (Bobby) here on the board ported this SD and compared to an as-cast, it picked up a tenth on the dragstrip. Translated to about 12 hp as I recall. We also run an 850 Demon for a carb. For a heavy street car it runs pretty well and has great drivability.

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.