Disclaimer:
This engine tech question is regarding a non-mopar engine, but could easily apply to any engine as it deals with spring pressures and matching valve train components properly.

MAIN QUESTION: How much spring pressure can a "ball / stud rocker" handle reliably without burning out?

On nearly every engine I've built over the years I've ran a true roller rocker to reduce friction, free up some power or because the spring pressures demanded it. I'm at a crossroads building a 350ci Chevy for a good friend of mine with 3/8 stud mounted rockers.
Full Trunnion Roller or a Chromemoly Roller Tip rocker?

The hydraulic roller cam isn't all that big, but it does have a fast ramp and requires stouter spring pressure to control valve operation effectively. The spring is a PAC beehive single spring that at its installed height has 145lb closed pressure and 305 open pressure at the max lift of .510" That's enough pressure that I'd never consider a factory stamped rocker to be adequate.

I'm am not questioning the performance gain of a roller tip rocker over a stamped rocker, as it's been proven to be very little, if any. Besides cost (not a factor here) the benefit in moving to a chromemoly roller tip rocker is strength (over stamped) and quieter operation (over a full roller). I'd prefer this engine to not sound like a sewing machine at low rpm as it has a fairly quiet exhaust system in place.

Back to the main question: Can a strong rocker with a ball stud design withstand 140lbs/305lbs long term? Comp Cams claims their product is intended for open spring pressures of 350lbs or less. Sounds like I have my answer, but many springs on the market with 300ish open pressures have less than 140lbs at the seat. I feel the spring pressures on this engine are very close to the limit of the ball / stud system, so I'd like to hear from others that may have experience in this area. There's plenty of stories of ball / stud rockers turning blue or "burning up" / or seizing, but more often than not, none of these people have any idea what kind of spring pressures they're running.

Input appreciated.
-Dan

[Linked Image]

1969 A12 Roadrunner
1970 Plymouth Cuda
1968 Dodge Dart