Originally Posted by dragon slayer
I am reading the book now. Looks like a good book. Having been involved with several hemi builds with an experience builder and building my own 18 months ago. I would say the first thing is to determine exactly what you want based on the parts you have. If OEM stuff make sure the block, heads, rods, pistons fully inspected, leak checked and magnafluxed. Then make your measurements of what you are working with. Block bore, deck height, head volume, rod size, piston CD. All to target your displacement and compression ratio. I am just over 10 to 1. You will be surprised depending on what you have if used stuff may be nowhere near stock measurements. You have to account for decking block to square and ensure level seating surface, same with heads. Always line hone or bore the block once you know it is good. Mockup and measure. Repeat.

Mine was a 66 block .30 over, I used after market 4.15 stroke, rods, and pistons. Understanding hemi pistons and CD is important. If you are going stock clearance should be good but you still have to measure everything.

To get an actual static compression ratio (while I cc'd every chamber of both heads) the best way is to put a piston in at TDC with correct gasket thickness sealed with white lithium grease around rings. Install head and then cc the compressed volume. Since you know the displacement of your motor you have the uncompressed volume. So displacement divided by Comp Vol plus 1 is your static compression measured. You can compare to your calculated as a check. Then adjust head gasket thickness or deck the block depending on what you want versus what you measured.

Have access to all the tools and some experienced eyes and ears when you have questions is important. Hopefully you have a mopar machine shop and someone with hemi experience for the machining unless you do it yourself.

Thanks for the comments. up Unfortunately there is one local machine shop that lives, breathes, and worships Ford. However, that having been said he has done a number of RB's and I'm hoping that between him and me we can figure it out.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".