Originally Posted by EvilB1Dart
Originally Posted by 493_john
Originally Posted by cudaman1969
“chambers softened” Not sure what this means

Anyone?

John,

Keep in mind this procedure is mostly done in high performing race engines. In the OP's case it could be purely unnecessary, but has been utilized on HEMI heads. Chamber softening is where the chamber is laid back and cuts out sharp areas that create hot spots and slows the flame travel down. We all know each combustion chamber design will vary with its efficiency, but from talking with Monte he said its great if you can start out with a head that already has efficient chamber design. Removing area's in the chamber will allow heat to soak in and give more area for expansion. Of course quench & chamber shape are important when doing this. Most importantly its finding someone who has a good program and knows what they're doing. This is typically done with nitrous or other power-adder applications, and "some" N/A setups. My current heads chambers are softened by Slawko. There are several dudes who know what they're doing that have programs for Mopar heads. It all comes down to heat. As we know the whole deal in an engine is the overall combination and managing heat. In my conversations with Monte, he stressed emphasis on being all about timing, valve events, combustion efficiency, ability to fill the cylinder, etc. Man that dude is missed.

Wes

Totally agree and great explanation, but hemi heads dont work like wedge heads..... There is no quench or 360* of quench, depending how you want to look at it. I believe chamber softing isn't supper applicable to a hemi's chamber. Works great on a lot of wedge heads, and have also seen it done on pistons.

Fwiw, ive been 11.3:1 on pump gas and made 986hp with 572 cubes and a indy 1RA head.

As for Best machines theory on compression....... I took a motor out of my racecar and changed pistons and cam. Went from 15:1 to 11.3:1 and made more power. Compression doesn't work the same in hemis.