Has anyone successfully tried an OEM-style tank with an in-tank fuel pump at the track? Something like the Aeromotive offering: Aeromotive 18343. I see they do not recommend it for drag racing or handling unless running a 1/2 tank of gas, but what other options are out there for a person not wanting to install a fuel cell in the trunk?

A little background: I've had a very simple old-school Mallory 140 and a Magnafuel dead-head regulator on my wife's low 11sec street/strip '70 Barracuda the past 15+ years with no real issues, but it was never ideal routing due to the factory tank with a rear sump outlet and 3" tailpipes. (Pump is on the frame rail, and closer to the tailpipe than I would like.) At some point in the near future, the car is getting a bump in power with a new motor, so I figure now is a good time to do a proper fuel system upgrade with a return regulator, and so forth. It will still have a carb, and the plans are to drive it much more often than the typical 50 mile or less round trip it has had in the past.

I realize the easy answer is to put a fuel cell in the trunk with an internal pump, but this is a stock-appearing car, and we actually use the trunk since the car is on the street more than the strip. With that said, it's slated to be deep in the 10s when I do make a pass at the track, so needing something that would supply the fuel demand and a healthy launch.

If it's just as simple as making sure there is at least a 1/2 tank of fuel when I go to make a pass at the track, I guess it's not an issue. But I was looking for some real-world feedback.

Thanks

Scott
St. Louis, MO

20190609_105520.jpg18343.jpg