Originally Posted by cudaboy340
Originally Posted by 360view

I also remember an article about a Volvo owner with one million legitimate miles, but with 2 engine rebuilds and more than 2 trans rebuilds.
The body style of his old Volvo was a copy of the Chrysler Airflow.

The Volvo P1800 you're referring to has over 3 million miles on it and belonged to Irv Gordon. I was lucky enough to work with Irv to get his car to Carlisle a couple of times for our Import show. Sadly, Irv passed away about two years ago. His car is now in the possession of Volvo Car USA, LLC and they were kind enough to bring it back to Carlisle this past May in honor of Irv.

I first featured Irv's Volvo in 2007 and when I offered to put it in the building for the weekend, I remember him politely declining. He said he needed to drive it as much as possible during the show to keep adding to the mileage. It was over 2 million at that time. And YES, the engine and most of the car have been rebuilt multiple times but it's still the official Guinness world record holder.

Irv was a cool guy. You can Google for more info but here's a quick article I found:

https://www.motor1.com/news/529418/gordon-volvo-p1800-close-look/

Ed

Reminds me of George Washington's axe or the Ship of Theseus.