One of my oldest friend's owns a body shop. He and I have always used an adhesion promoter first

It softens the plastic or vinyl or vinyl top so that the dye has a true chemical bond when applied.
I have used PPG and DuPont that were mixed to color and sheen from a spray gun and spray bombs. And SEM premixed and bombs. I do not know if SEM mixes cors shades like the paint jobbers do with DuPont and PPG do. Used as a color change not to repair fill old looking plasuc or vinyl. IE don't think you can spray tons on an old crap dried out missing texture plasic panel and make it new
If cleaned right and promoter used the dye was fine on vinyl tops in the hot and wet south. And many years later was fine. I did see where a driver seat wore through. But was used plenty for years and years.
Tops always looked like new when done and saved big dollars over putting a new one on when color of paint on car was done.
You can get Bull Dog adhesion promoter in spray bombs if that is what you are doing Premixed Cans.
My peference is to use a gun. But cans are ok.

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough