Originally Posted by madscientist
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I've used the old Mallory 28880 with good success, MSD ended up putting their part number and decal on it later.
The small rectangular red MSD for the race boxes works well also up
the new big heavy transformer type is supposed to work well also shruggy. I have one but I haven't use it yet, waiting to use it with their grid on a non programmable digital 7 in the near future luck

I would love to see a 28880 coil with an MSD sticker on it. I don’t think that ever happened.

Ask and you will see scope up
Sorry for not seeing the best picture before attaching them.
That Mallory made coil with the MSD decal was working when removed, it had leaked all the oil out of it on my race car mounted with the coil outlet wire pointed sideways instead of straight up, I hadn't noticed the writing on the decal saying to mount it with the coil wire pointed straight up realcrazy whiney
I called MSD and Mallory and they both told me that I could refill the oil by drilling a hole in the top and fill it back up and seaing it with expoxy, I haven't done that yet, and I won't tsk My luck is it would fail in the finals at a big race, HUH whiney work shruggy
The later little red coil quit working on a dyno test for around 15 minutes of running, we were using it on a Roots 10:71 blown gas 426 Street hemi type all aluminum street motor with a dual distributor drive with two MSD 7AL 3 boxes with twin MSD 8201 coils and dual spark plug Mopar aluminum heads.
I wish I had taken a picture or a video of that motor on the dyno at WOT. It turns out the motor made almost as much power firing one set of plugs (970 HP at 7000 RPM with 7.5 lbs. of boost whiney) as it did with both firing, not enough difference to see a measurable result confused
That testing was done a long time ago, around 1999 or 2000 hammer

SANY0209.JPGSANY0210.JPGSANY0208.JPG
Last edited by Cab_Burge; 12/06/21 02:22 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)