Originally Posted by AndyF
Originally Posted by MadMatt
Originally Posted by AndyF
Yes, that is exactly what I recommend in the instructions. The new 10 ga wire from the alternator to the battery should have lower resistance than the existing path thru the firewall so the output of the alternator will flow directly to the battery rather than thru the firewall. You can check this very easily if you have a clamp on ammeter. The clamp on ammeter will show you how much current is flowing to the battery and how much is flowing thru the firewall connector. I use a clamp on ammeter to double check all of the wiring on any new project. It will quickly show you if the grounds are working and how much current is flowing in each wire.

Since I am going to be eliminating the voltage regulator, can I repurpose one of the other existing connections from the alternator to the VR to act as the 12V sensing wire? I'm trying to avoid hacking my wiring looms as much as I can. If I understand the wiring diagram correctly, the 2 remaining wires that originally connected to the alternator are now extraneous since I'm "losing" the original voltage regulator.

*EDIT* So, I found this diagram of the charging system and VR and I'm thinking I can use the existing IGN +/Field + wire from the VR to feed the switched 12 volt lead on the alternator, and repurpose the Field neg wire to use as the 12V sensing wire. Does that make sense or am I missing something?

The Denso 60 amp alternator needs two 12 volt connections. One is "sense" and the other is the "turn on". If you have a well behaved wiring system those two wires can both be connected to the same place. If you have a lot of voltage drop in your wiring harness then you need to find a good 12 volt source for the turn on (key on power) line and the sense wire should go someplace that can accurately tell the alternator what the battery voltage is.

I think I have a good spot for the sense wire, but it wouldn't be ignition switched, it would be reading battery voltage all the time. If your saying that the other connection doesn't necessarily have to be switched 12 V then that does simplify things. I can just extend the Neg. field wire that ran from the alternator to the VR and use that to feed both the "sense" and the "turn on".

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.