In 1983 my mother bought a house in a development where all the roofs were required to be cedar shingles,
due to the developer “liking the look of cedar shingles.”

My father vocally disliked the cedar shingles from new, said they were a fire hazard and would not last very long.

But in 2013 the cedar shingles were still there, and the roof was not leaking.

My brother and I both thought the roof looked “rough”, and we were worried the underlying plywood might need to be replaced if we waited longer.
The cedar shingles were replaced with Owens Corning conventional shingles.
The underlying plywood actually “looked very good” in the roofers judgement.

The roofs around us mostly had their cedar shingles replaced over the last 8 years, but there are still two roofs nearby with original cedar shingles.

My father grew up in a 1930 house with a slate roof. A cousin still lives in that house with the original slate roof.

I have a 1200 square foot 1953 built house on the beach in Florida.
It has flat interlocking white concrete roof tiles that weigh a hefty 11.25 lbs each. Rafters are very narrowly spaced.
This roof has survived with zero damage Hurricane Cleo in 1965 ( 16 inches of seawater inside house, ground elevation 14 feet above MSL)
and the 121 mph winds of Hurricane Wilma as that storm passed over from East to West.

Many of the newer red “half pipe” Spanish tile roofs failed on nearby building in the winds of Hurricane Wilma.
I erroneously thought those Spanish tiles were stiffer and stronger than the thick flat concrete interlocking tiles.