Originally Posted by Satilite73

Not to be a smart a$$ here, but, I don't understand canning. blush

While I've never sought out canning websites, I've seen a lot of posts over the years on different forums where people get all excited about canning or 'canning season'. If I had to guess, its probably in the 100's.

YET.....

I have not seen ONE post from someone all excited to open up and eat something they canned years earlier. NOT ONE. shruggy

Is canning much like sitting on a lake fishing? It's not the need but the moment?

What I have seen however are 'urban explorers' that explore long abandoned houses with canned goods still in the basement. work

confused

Folks have different reasons for canning. Some out of necessity, some as hobby. I have some favorite recipes that are a pain to prepare so I make big batches and can it for later use. And there's some stuff you simply can't buy in a store.

Having a garden means sometimes you get big batches of whatever grew best that season. Last year we had 300 pounds of green beans and enough pickles to can 50 quarts. The year before I had 50 pounds of beets and enough cabbage to make 20 quarts of sourkraut.

Generally, home canning is good for 12 to 18 months. Plenty of stuff will keep longer without making you ill, but the flavor will be yuck.

Angry white pureblood male