Originally Posted by Montclaire
I do think that, on a whole, the muscle car mystique will soldier on. There will always be a new generation to discover films like VP, Two Lane, etc. What they will make of them, who knows, but the titles will live on. Muscle cars (and movies about them) always equated to machismo and personal freedom, and I can’t see those concepts losing any popularity among young males for a long time post-2021.

I dunno man.... maybe? I find though that more often than not, even though the younger generations hold in their hand a device that gleans access to the wealth of knowledge man has thus cultivated.... they still don't use the damn thing. They've also had it ingrained in their psyche not to question things.... not to ask "Why?" or "How?"

Most don't watch TV anymore and even if they did.... these movies certainly won't be on TV anymore. Not since Speed Vision and Bruce Dern hosting "The Lost Drive In" have I ever seen ANY of these films on TV. (Ok, maybe the ONE exception would be on TCM - but that's it!) So, unless we actively take a role in trying to expose the younger generations to this stuff.... they won't have any interest in it at all.

The same goes for cars. I have a cousin who inherited his fathers' millions. The kid is 30, lives in a million dollar home, has a 250k/year job and yet still covets my garbage and promises me that one day he will own all my cars. (Over my dead body, but that's neither here nor there.) Anywho, story is he comes to me and says his wife has granted him to spend 20k on a fun toy and he's looking at this POS '85 Mercury Capri. And I'm like.... no, no, no.... don't waste your money. So I spent an hour showing him a dozen other cars in province that are under 20k and WAY cooler. The one I thought I turned him onto was a '72 Mustang convertible. Beautiful car, recent restoration. 302/4-barrel/C4. Grabber Blue, white guts and top. P/S, P/db.... just a gorgeous and well appointed car. $16k. It was something that both he could enjoy, his wife would enjoy, wouldn't eat them out of house and home and their new baby would make a BILLION memories growing up in the back seat of a Mustang convertible.

My cousin actually thanked me for the help and my opinions.

Three weeks later he shows up un-announced to show off the same piece of trash Mercury Capri he originally looked at. *facepalm*
It'd already cost him a small fortune because the first day he took it to work, he didn't put the hood pins back in (fiberglass hood, no springs, no latch..... you see where I'm going with this....)
He lead-foots it on the street and near the top of 3rd gear the hood flies up and back, cracks the hood, breaks the header panel, smashes above the windshield....

Wouldn't have happened if he bought that groovy Grabber Blue convert his cousin showed him..... Just sayin'.....

I guess my point is.... even if you do lead them by the hand, they're still going to find some way to foul things up.

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....