i have ran just about any combination of rear tires and rear rim widths, and skinny VW radials on the front [165 and 145 size "shorties"], with both independent front suspension and straight axle setups with ford single buggy spring and parallel leaf spring setups. as long as you have some decent caster, and the toe in matches how the steering is set up [front steer or rear steer], radials on the front work great !
bias ply tires ALWAYS seem to hunt for ruts no matter what size or width you use, although there are a lot of guys who will say otherwise.
i'm not bashing them, however. i'm just stating my own experience over the 50+ years i have been "playing with cars".

now with that said, there was ONE time i REALLY liked the way a bias tire worked on the front of a vehicle.
that was on my charger back in the 72-74 [or so] time frame, and on my 48 plymouth sedan in the 76ish-79 time frame, when i was running Formula One Super Stock bias tires. i had L-60's and M-50's on the rear with 8 & 10" wheels, and F-60's on the front with 6" wheels. those cornered and went down the road GREAT ! however, i don't recall what the alignment specs were i used at that time.
as i said, this is just my personal experience. your mileage will vary.
beer