Originally Posted by Stanton
now with that said, i have no idea how .0025 larger diameter retainers would fit the 5/16" valve stem tolerance wise. or the other way around. plus, how the retainers would fit the spring retainers being used.
it "could" work, or "not" work, caused by however the retainer grooves were cut in the stem, and how the holes were machined in the spring retainers.
without knowing the +/- tolerance on the valve stem grooves and the same on each type of retainer, i would not recommend interchanging the two types.
that is just my 45+yr machinist career talking, and NOT any experience interchanging 5/16" and 8mm valves and retainers.
also, i'm not bashing any engine builders, as they have WAY more experience than i do !

I know its a technicality BUT ... we're talking valve "locks" - not "retainers".

And since you point out the difference I'm guessing the 5/16 locks won't fit an 8mm stem

i got the terminology wrong, but i was describing the "locks" [the two little pieces that surround the valve stem]. could these be also called "keepers" in some parts ?
"retainers" would be the round item on the top of the valve spring that the "locks" fit into, thereby "keeping" the valve and spring assembly together in the head, correct ?
sorry if i screwed up the nomenclature. it was not my intent, and i'm glad i was corrected. thanks ! up
beer