Firstly, let me say that I seldom post a thread, but I do extensively read on this site and have gained great information over the many years. Thanks everyone!
Now, subject at hand....I am very frustrated and pissed. I'm having an oil issue with a 383 to 451 build. Only 300 miles on this engine and its using a quart of oil on the last 100 miles driven. Oil loss is progressing with usage. Plugs looked great first 100+ miles. Plugs are now oil fouled. I have the blue smoke puff when first cranked after sitting several days, but goes away relatively quickly. I did a cylinder pressure check and all is good, mostly 192 to 198 (#8 had 212). #6 and #8 seem to have the heaviest oil fouling, but all except #2 have enough to be of concern. Heads are Edelbrock RPM 84cc, came assembled. Running XE274H and Comp Cam roller tip rocker assembles. I foresee having to change out all the valve stem seals in the near future. However, I did read a post (somewhere on the net) that said Edelbrock heads tend to pass oil initially until they "fully break in". Is this wishful thinking on my part? I'm putting in new plugs and will be monitoring more, but is there a chance this is going to clear up, and if so...how many more miles? Anyone been down this road? I'm sure these heads came with the 9725 positive-stop seals. I understand Edelbrock also has 9758 umbrella seals for the RPM head. Are the 9758 seals better at controlling valve seal leaks?

Also, something I have never seen before, looking at the spark plug tip on the majority of 8 plugs, one side is clean (though wet) and the other side is black/gunked up. really weird.

Looking forward to your comments.

Scott

Scott
'71 'Cuda 383 (451, shush!) / 727 / Rallye Red