My end goal is to have an OD transmission (RH or RE), that will mate with a transfer case with a passenger side drop.

I recently got a 5.9l/46RE from a 99 Durango to swap into my 72 w200. That drivetrain had a 241 (I think) tcase with a driver side drop to the front axle. I have a married NP205 from a 1st gen ram cummins that has a passenger side drop.

Problem is, the tailhousing on the 46RE from the durango has the output shaft sticking about half an inch past the mating flange. The output shaft and the input shaft on the 205 then overlap each other by about half an inch.

I also have a 46RH from an early 90s jeep, and the tailhousing is both longer (due to the RH governor), and most importantly, the output shaft is about half an inch inside the mating flange, so it should mate with the cummins np205 just fine.

Does anyone know if it's possible to swap the tailhousing and OD set from the RH to the RE? I did find this about going the other way:
On RE versus RH - the output shafts differ, the RH has provisions for a key way and governor support with tubes that the RE does not have.
So to your question, if you installed a RE housing you would have no governor assembly.

It looks like there's line pressure going back to the governor, and governor pressure coming back to the valve body through the two tubes. I presume the RE doesn't have anything to connect to these tubes, so is it as easy as leaving the tubes and governor assembly out?

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.