Originally Posted by Bad340fish
Originally Posted by 360view
Having natural gas service to the house and an existing easy to access port and valve inside the fireplace
has made me think about buying a kit to convert my 10 HP Briggs & Stratton powered Troy built 7500 watt gasoline portable generator to natural gas
and keeping it on hand “just in case.”

If anyone knows the best kit to buy for this please comment.

I have now been through ice storms and Hurricanes that kept the electric service off for more than 7 days numerous times.

I don't know of a kit but beware that changing it over to NG will likely reduce its output. Costco was selling a tri fuel generator that ran on Gas, NG, or Propane. It had different output ratings for each fuel, the highest being gasoline and I think propane was next.

I have a smaller home than most on here I am sure 1500SF but 2600 under roof.
Had an electrician put an interlock on my existing panel. Have a 9000-watt Blackmax with 13 hp Honda. We have a gas water heater, furnace, fireplace, drier, and range/oven.
with everything on the gen is putting out at 28% of the available total 100% load. with the microwave off using 16-18% and at that rate tank of fuel last 15 hours.
I have some smaller VP racing fuel 15-gallon drums and a hand pump. But will one day convert it to NG as we have it. I simple kit is not much $ but running the gas line is $
Note that we had a Briggs powered 4000watt that was using more fuel with the 8HP cast-iron sleeved engine
We run it every 30 days under load and keep all gas with stybil in it. Gas has never been a problem going bad. even used 3-year-old sealed drum gas no problem. Stybil also sells 360 so it coats the inside the tank to prevent rust.
In the past, my old Generac with Briggs (1992 they do not make them like they used to) ran all the 110 for 7 days after a hurricane and the same goes for the Honda-powered but the Honda engined one way outperformed the smaller one and used less fuel.
I saw someone posted larger uses more fuel that was not the case for our use of a larger one less taxed used less fuel
In addition to the every 30 days run with load, I do oil changes with Mobile One
We sized Larger since the NG Conversion will put out less BTU and put out less

Last edited by 340SIX; 08/02/21 02:38 PM.

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough