Batteries and motors have been around longer than the ICE but ICEs won for a reason. Sure electrical motor and battery tech has come a long way but so has the ICE and the efficiency from things like VVT MDS variable runner intakes, stratified charges, turbos, 8-10 speed or even more transmissions have all helped improve the efficiency of ICE cars dramatically. A modern dodge dart is as fast as an old dodge dart wile getting double or triple the MPG (of course they look butt ugly though). Like Andyf said electrics are fine for a very small percent of people, I think probably even less than 25% really.

I am curious why electrics and hybrids get so much aerodynamic attention compared to the ICE powered cars, look under a honda civic vs a hybrid honda civic, they do waaaay more stuff to improve the efficiency of the aerodynamics, full belly pan with louvers to carefully direct airflow, heck even the wheels are more aerodynamic but then they give all the credit to it being a hybrid. Also the power to weight of a hybrid is terrible, they are much slower than the ICE counterpart, make an ICE that slow and they would get great MPG also. Another example is the tesla, they have pulled out all the stops to make it aerodynamic to extend the range, how about make an ICE car that slippery and see how much the range is extended in that also.

I think an easy solution would be to toss a small honda generator in the truck of a tesla to start charging anytime battery level gets lowish, it could run after shut down if there is no charging station to hook to, it could be very efficient because it only needs optimized for one specific RPM as well as optimized emissions.

I still regret not buying an old nissan hardbody someone had converted to a big electric motor years ago and sticking a little generator in the bed to keep the lead acid batteries charged.

Hydrogen is certainly not the solution, there is just too much energy lost in splitting the water into hydrogen and oxygen vs what you gain from re-combining them to generate electric or combustion heat. I think the dollars for hydrogen research comes from the advertising budget, "hey look, we are studying hydrogen, buy our diesel to help fund our green research!".

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!