Originally Posted by J_BODY
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by Moparite
It's more work than it's worth, Just get a trans that will bolt up to the cummings.
iagree up
Buy a newer 48RH, not the weak 46 RH or whatever the proper name and numbers are for later and better 4 speed O.D. trannies for the Cummins 5.9 engines.
I bought a new 1998 1/2 24 valve 5.9 Cummins powered 3/4 ton Ram 2500 with the weaker 46RH tranny in it.
I got it hot once towing my 24 Ft enclosed race car trailer with my old pump gas Duster in it in the summer in the Mojave desert and had troubles with it shifting automatically for a while after that.
I sold that truck it in 2006 and bought a new Ram 3500 4x4 for the snow up here and it has the newer better 48 RH in it, according to the mechanics at our local Dodge dealer it is a lot better than the older 46 trannies where shruggy

48RH?? 46RH was gas, 47RH was diesel
Your 98 had a 47RE in in.... crap torque converter was the black eye in that era.
Your 2006 has a 48RE trans.... mother took some hints from the aftermarket and our trans repairs dropped dramatically after their inception.

I have rebuilt thousands of those RE RH 904 727... and never saw just a bad converter, the only bad converters were when something else took a major dump first like gears or clutches. The biggest cause of failures in the gears and clutches were caused by people running with cooler line or pan gasket leaks and a lack of maintenance, people hardly ever change the fluid and filter and even far less would ever get a band adjusted, that maintenance went a long ways if done properly. Most tranny shops seem to want to just condemn the entire trans and sell a rebuild than adjust a band witch I fixed many supposedly bad transmissions with no reverse or second just by adjusting the band.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!