Originally Posted by gearhead01
I wiped a cam load last Saturday. I left Byron after a couple of passes, and started hearing valve train noise about a mile later. Called the flat bed, and had her hauled home

Pulled valve covers and found one valve with way too much play. (No 3 Intake) Pulled rockers, not cracked. Push rod is straight as an arrow. Rockers back on, and bumped and made some measurements. Definitely wiped the lobe.

Cam is MP .557 solid flat tappet. Approximately 350 passes. I have 54 passes since we bought the car, and maybe 2000 miles. Previous owner raced the car, then retired it to some street driving before selling it.

Going to pull the intake this weekend and look the lifter over. Draining the oil so I can strain it. Fish the bottom of the pan with a magnet. Cut the filter and look for debris.

So, in your experiences is next? Tear the engine down for a thorough cleaning sounds logical.

Please let me what you have done if you had the same issue.

Thank you, John

Oil goes thru thru the pump unfiltered then to the filter, your filter will probably be ugly, as will the inside of the pump. Those tiny particles drop down onto the piston skirts below it and also get flung everywhere. If it was mine it would get fully torn down and gone thru. I spun a bearing once , I found metal particles inside the hyd. lifters.

running up my post count some more .