Originally Posted by tboomer
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
I got a tour of a manufacturing facility making fiberglass fan stacks for industrial cooling towers. These were panels that when bolted together would form a cone about 30' in diameter and about 10' high IIRC. The procedure was spraying the molds with gelcoat and then spraying on the fiberglass using a chopper gun that mixed resin and fiberglass chopped from rolls of fiberglass strip. What a filthy mess. The stench from the resin was unbelievable. There were fiberglass fibers floating around everywhere. Unbelievable. Right then and there I got a whole new appreciation for any firm that produces large scale fiberglass components.

Lol! You ever clean a cooling tower? The stench in one is like the basement of an out house! laugh2 wave

The only cooling towers I have experience with are electric utility scale. And no, I've never had to clean one but, yes, I've been in an operating tower cell, standing on the fill, taking airflow measurements. And yes, I was soaked from head to toe at the end of that.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".