Originally Posted by Not yr uncle Bob
Originally Posted by ph23vo
Originally Posted by Not yr uncle Bob
I've got something similar going on here in WV. The witch at the DMV wouldn't let me transfer a signed WV title, and told me that i had to have the VIN verified by LEO. I looked up there rules and there's nothing about that in there, and verification is only needed if you don't have a title or the VIN tag is missing. There's a fee involved and I need to take time off work because they're only open during business hours.

I'm pretty sure their point is to squeeze me on sales tax, like they're doing to Zippy, or maybe it's a ploy to get a cop on my property to nose around. Either way I wish I would've known this was coming before I fixed most of what was wrong with it.

just don't title it in your name.. sell it and move along..you never owned it..

So what do you do when you buy something and want to keep it? shruggy

It's bad enough that they charge me a tax every year on things I already own and paid sales tax on. Making up the rules as they go is what has me spun up about the whole thing.

When I bought my 49, I had pictures of it in as bought condition. Then I transferred the title into my name and paid the tax due on the $600 purchase. After I received the title to the 49 with my name on it, I started working on it. If the State come back with wanting more money, I still have the picture proof of the as bought condition. I've played in this movie before.

I have to wonder if some of this additional revenue they want may be based on what we buy the insurance coverage for. IL is a required insurance state. I'm pretty sure my insurance sends them info on my coverage. If I have a Hagerty coverage on that 49 I say I paid $600 for with a value of $20,000, some bureaucrat might say, look, this guy has this vehicle covered for 20 G and he said he paid $600 for it 2 years ago, He must have underpaid the tax on it...