I'm using a 96 Dakota frame, drive train and all under an older Dodge truck sheet metal.
I've finally got the chance to drive it a bit. The 318 idles at 1200 rpm in gear (auto trans). Everything is still 96 Dakota, I pulled everything out of a 44,000 mile 4x4 truck with a rusted frame, transferred everything over to a different Dakota 4x4 frame, then added the older sheet metal.
I'm using the Dakota EFI, which I assume is still OBD1. its got the beer barrel intake and port injection. Doing the key thing, I'm not getting any codes. There is currently no exhaust past the rear O2 sensor. Before that back O2, there are no exhaust leaks.

I've checked all the vacuum hoses and they are all good. I've pulled the thing at the back of the throttle body that always carbonizes up, it had a little carbon build up, but not much. I've cleaned the little build up that was there off with carb cleaner, and also sprayed out the cavity (I can't see how clean that is). That made no difference.

I played with these things when they were new, but that was a long time ago. Some direction would be good. Thanks, Gene