Originally Posted by RAY1969CARS
Hi is there any you guys out there small black guys that could give me some advice on this external wet sump deal??? R3 9.00 block

I’m going from a first generation r block 48° Tall deck To a R3 9.00

It should be fairly simple.
Dry sump #5 cap or block off the rear main cap , plug filter boss , install a pick up in the pan with a line to the pump for the suction side.
Feed into a remote filter , then into the front China wall oil port and call it good.
I am using an internal pump , but when cleaning up the passages inside the filter boss , I became a victim of core shift and had to plug it entirely.
I had just barely started and it plunged into the water jacket.
I had to plug the passage that leads to the outlet side of the filter internally , but it was easy enough because there were access holes in the back of the block behind an NPT plug , so now I have a water cooled filter boss. laugh2
I thought I had destroyed the block , but Ryan Johnson walked me through how to fix it.
I opened up and tapped the oil outlet port from the pump for an 1/2 NPT to -10 fitting and ran a line to a remote filter and into the front of the block on the China wall , and it works well.