Having been there done that on a few occasions I believe the circumstances dictate the actions. Certainly getting out of it when its doing something stupid is the right strategy, but NOT getting back in it is sometimes what needs to happen. Say for instance as happened to me in Tucson last year. 1000' or so the car makes a hard left hand turn and I find myself staring into the other wall and pointed at the lane. Racing in Top Comp against a dragster dialed at 6.20 going 220 or so. I decided once the dust settled, and yes the chutes were already out that maybe a slight course correction was a good idea. Slight steering input to get it at least pointed more down track and a quick blip on the throttle got me out of her lane and only took out one cone. Would I suggest this strategy to others HELL NO. But it worked for me in the moment. As I say each situation requires its own correction. Many times no correction is the best way to go, just let it settle down and ride it out. In my case after the run my opponent had NO IDEA what had happened and said she never saw a thing. But with her ISC padding in the cage she likely could not see anything that was not directly in front of her, so could have gotten really ugly had I stayed on my trajectory. I have had a throttle hang up, lost a tire, gotten into oil and each situation requires its own resolution. The main thing is dont panic...

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"